The University of Kentucky Medical Alumni Association presents multiple annual awards recognizing the excellence of individuals associated with the College of Medicine that have distinguished themselves in the field of medicine: the Distinguished Alumnus Award, the Distinguished Young Alumnus Award, the Commonwealth Award, and the Honorary Alumnus Award. This year's recipients will be recognized during Alumni Reunion Weekend, October 10-13, 2013. University of Kentucky College of Medicine alumni, faculty, staff and professional colleagues may submit nominations. Nominations must include:
- a completed nomination form: (Click here for Nominations Form).
- a letter stating the award for which you are submitting the nomination and a detailed outline of the nominee's qualifications;
- the nominee's cirriculum vitae; and
- if available, secondary letters and/or materials supporting the nomination.
Submit complete nominations via mail or email to:
UK College of Medicine
Office of Alumni & Development
138 Leader Avenue
Lexington, KY 40506
All nominations must be postmarked by April 30, 2013.
Distinguished Alumnus Award
Created in 1991, the Distinguished Alumni Award recognizes College of Medicine or resident alumni for significant contributions in one or more of the following areas:
- community and public service;
- research; and
Distinguished Young Alumnus Award
Created in 2010, the Distinguished Young Alumni Award recognizes alumni 40 years of age and younger for their outstanding professional accomplishments at an early age.
Commonwealth Alumnus Award
Awarded at the discretion of the Awards Committee, the Commonwealth Award recognizes physicians for their extraordinary level of leadership, commitment and service to the medical profession.
Honorary Alumnus Award
The Honorary Alumni Award recognizes outstanding individuals, though not graduates of the College of Medicine, for significant contributions to the educational mission of the University of Kentucky and the College of Medicine. Honorees demonstrate support of medical education and residency/fellowship training; the desire to leave their own legacy at the University of Kentucky and the College of Medicine; and serve as models of physician responsibility to patients, students, colleagues and community members.
Click here to view a list of past award recipients.
Congratulations to our 2012 Award Winners!
- Distinguished Alumnus William N. Offut IV, M.D. '68
- Distinguished Alumnus Jeffrey A. Cutler, M.D. '68
- Distinguished Young Alumnus Michael E. Matheny, M.D. '01
- Commonwealth Alumnus Frederick C. de Beer, M.D. '94
- Honorary Alumnus Michael Karpf, M.D.