UK College of Medicine Presents Awards to Outstanding Class of 2020 Members
The University of Kentucky College of Medicine would like to congratulate two standout graduating medical students for their exemplary work in pursuit of their education, leading them to receive the college’s most prestigious senior awards.
Sarah Boden, MD, received the D. Kay Clawson Award during Saturday’s Class of 2020 virtual commencement ceremony, while Megan Single, MD, was selected for the Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Good Physician Award.
The D. Kay Clawson Award, named for former UK College of Medicine Dean David Kay Clawson, MD, is given to a graduating student who has demonstrated perceptivity and statesmanship in contributing to the growth and stability of the college while exhibiting an understanding of the complex issues to health care in modern society. Dr. Boden of California, Ky. was selected by Dr. Clawson’s family for demonstrating excellence in academics, community service through the Salvation Army, and responsibility in serving on the University of Kentucky College of Medicine-Northern Kentucky Campus Admissions Advisory Committee.
Kyle Rosenstein, MD, UK internal medicine chief resident and Dr. Clawson’s grandson, presented the award during Saturday’s graduation ceremony.
“I know my grandfather valued his time on the UK College of Medicine Admissions Committee and would be happy to see someone involved with admissions to get the Northern Kentucky Campus up and running,” Dr. Rosenstein said of selecting Dr. Boden.
The AOA Good Physician Award recognizes a graduating senior who exemplifies all qualities inherent in a good physician including educational achievement, service, leadership, and compassionate care. Dr. Single, from Sarasota, Fla., was selected by her peers in the Class of 2020 as a physician they would trust most with care of their family, close friends, and selves.
Dr. Single will pursue a residency in psychiatry at the University of Florida. Dr. Boden will enter a residency in anesthesiology at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston.
Other awards chosen by and for members of the Class of 2020 include the following:
• Dr. Emily Cunningham, department of obstetrics and gynecology, was chosen by the Class of 2020 to receive the Clinical Golden Apple Award for Outstanding Clinical Instructor.
• The Arnold P. Gold Foundation presented the Leonard Tow Humanism in Medicine Award to the student and faculty member who consistently demonstrated compassion and empathy in the delivery of care to patients and who illustrates professional behavior by example. The 2020 student recipient was Dr. Anita Shanker, and the faculty recipient was Dr. Katie Twist, associate professor of medicine.
• The Merck Manual Awards are awarded on the basis of high academic performance as well as service to his or her class and college. The 2020 recipients were Dr. Maria Alkhasova, Dr. Trent Goodin, and Dr. Paul Yager.
• The American Medical Women’s Association Awards are presented annually to women who are in the top 10 percent of the class. This year's awards were presented to Dr. Sarah Boden, Dr. Brooke Duke, Dr. Misty Hobbs, Dr. Molly Sullivan, and Dr. Shelley Zippay.
• The Peter P. Bosomworth Excellence in Anesthesiology Award was presented to Dr. Damon Wallace.
• The Carey Cup Excellence in Emergency Medicine Award was presented to Dr. Wesley Barnett.
• The Global Health Track recipients are Dr. Jessica Adkins, Dr. Connor Appelman, Dr. Elizabeth Bittner, Dr. Anthony Burdo, Dr. Kandice Roberts, Dr. Anita Shanker, and Dr. Molly Sullivan.
• The William D. and Peggy Pratt Memorial Scholarship Award was presented to Dr. Makayla Lewis. This award is from the department of family and community medicine.
• The Steven A. Haist Outstanding Academic Performance Award was presented to Dr. Josiah Burrows. This award is from the department of internal medicine.
• The Outstanding Scholarship and Humanism Award was presented to Dr. Lauren Crossman. This award is from the department of internal medicine.
• The David B. Clark Award for Excellence in Neurology was presented to Dr. Molly Sullivan.
• The Louise Perkins McHenry Award was presented to Dr. Tenley McKee. This award is from the department of obstetrics and gynecology.
• The John Greene, Jr. Clinical Excellence Award was presented to Dr. Luke Pecha. This award is from the department of obstetrics and gynecology.
• The Gerald V. Klim Award for Outstanding Medical Student in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Award was presented to Dr. Molly Bates.
• The Myron G. Sandifer, Jr. Award for the Outstanding Student in Psychiatry was presented to Dr. David Beaman.
• The John H. Githens Award for Excellence in Pediatrics was presented to Dr. MacKenzie Wyatt.
• The Arthur Lieber, MD Excellence in Radiology Award was presented to Dr. Elias Nassar.
• The Francis M. Massie Award for Excellence in Surgery was presented to Dr. Evan Lynch.
• The Andrew R. Pulito Award was presented to Dr. Olivia Grothaus, as well as MD/PhD graduates Dr. Evan Lynch and Dr. Yuan Wen.
• The de Beer Medical Student Research Award for outstanding student achievement in medical research was presented to Dr. Qian Yu.
• The Medical Student Government Association Award selected for service to MSGA was presented to Dr. Garrett Oberst and Dr. Sherif Saleh.
• The Community Service Awards were presented to members of the class who exhibited outstanding community service to the class, college, and/or community. The awards were chosen by the Class of 2020 and presented to Dr. Jessica Adkins and Dr. Connor Appelman.
• The Albert B. Chandler Award was presented to Dr. Andrew Rudnick. This award is given to the student with the highest overall academic performance.